Project Profiles / St Elizabeth’s Hospital
As-built documentation of historic structures
St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was organized by Congress in 1855 as the Government Hospital for the Insane. Its first building was designed by Thomas U. Walter, who also designed the expansion of the Capitol. During the Civil War, the hospital served as an extended-care facility for Civil War amputees, many of whom are buried in a cemetery on the site. The last patient left the West Campus in the 1960s. Currently under the jurisdiction of the GSA, the West Campus site comprises 186 acres, with some 50 buildings and 1.2 million square feet of space and is listed as a National Historic Landmark. Presently, building conditions are being studied to determine their physical condition, evaluate architectural integrity, identify significant spaces, and determine the potential for reuse. Since approval of the Final Master Plan in January 2009, seven buildings have been demolished in preparation for the construction of a new U.S. Coast Guard headquarters.
OPTIRA’s BIMplusTM services provided highly accurate existing condition documentation of sixty-two (62) buildings for St. Elizabeth’s West Campus (173 acres) with no disruption of the site.
Project deliverables significantly extended the range of the GSA documentation provided in the Building, Landscape, and Archaeological Assessment (BLA).